Best CBD Gummies for Pain (2021): Top 5 Brands & Buyer’s Guide
Around 50 million Americans suffer from chronic pain each year. While opioids are a great way of managing pain, they come with far more downsides than upsides.
For instance, opioids tend to produce dependency, addiction, and other health issues in patients consuming them. while most over-the-counter medications fail to effectively manage pain and conditions associated with pain, prescription pain killers pose more harm than good to the health.
That is why more people turn to natural alternatives these days – to get better without experiencing any of the bad effects of pharmaceutical medications or their withdrawal issues. This is what CBD has provided for millions of people worldwide.
However, not all CBD brands or CBD products like oil, gummies, cream, and capsules are good, safe, and effective. And that applies to CBD gummies too! An edible product, CBD gummies have their constraints. But that does not mean that you should have to compromise on your health or go bankrupt to get better.
Evidently an easy-to-use option, gummies are a hit in the market, thanks to the brands’ customer-centric policies and approach. They are portable, convenient to dose, and excellent in taste (when the brands take care of that as well).
But how do you know if a product is safe, effective, and genuine?
To make matters simpler for you, we have done loads of research and created this list of Top 5 CBD Gummies for Pain in the Market. But for that, we treaded a tight line to make sure we do not compromise on quality, quantity, flavor, or efficacy. So, we followed a 6-step process to screen all the CBD gummies in the market. Here’s what we did…
- Reached out to many experts and researchers of the CBD industry to gain their perspective on some of the best CBD brands in the market.
- Selected products for you that are tested by certified third-party labs to ensure their cannabinoid content, safety profile, and efficacy, besides being free of undesirable content, like heavy metals, molds, and pesticides.
- Considered the company’s extraction and manufacturing methods, as well as confirmed that each of the products doesn’t contain over 0.3% THC (legally permissible level).
- Checked the veracity of the most popular brands of CBD in terms of their transparency regarding the employed technology or their farming practices and extraction processes.
- Took into account the viewpoint of thousands of users through reviews on websites, including brand websites, social media, open forums, blogs, etc.
- Conducted various surveys to check the credibility of all the claims mentioned on the brand websites.
- Checked the 10 best products ourselves and selected the top five finalists to verify they are truly the best, safest, and most effective for pain.
5 Best CBD Gummies for Pain
- FabCBD Gummies – Editor’s Choice
- CBDistillery Gummies – Best Value For Money
- Hemp Bombs CBD Gummies – Best Flavors & Variety
- CBDFx Gummies – Best Quality
- PlusCBD’s Extra Strength Gummies – Best Vegan Gummies
#1. Fab CBD Gummies: Top CBD Gummies For Pain
Fab CBD is a company that offers third-party tested, non-GMO CBD products. This company is quite transparent about its extraction method and manufacturing practices. It employs the CO2 extraction process that ensures all beneficial components of the hemp plants are retained without harming the environment. Their CBD chews are vegan, gluten-free, and 100% THC-free. These gummies are made with CBD isolate oil with a unique blend of terpenes and flavonoids. The brand has a customer-friendly approach, with its customer support team readily available every day of the year.
Brand & Product Highlights:
Hemp source: Colorado, US
Extract type: CBD Isolates
CBD Potency: 25 mg CBD isolate
Container size: Every 4-oz jar contains 30 CBD gummies
Flavors: Fruity flavored
- Hemp extract CBD isolate
- Organic cane sugar
- Citric Acid
- Ascorbic Acid
- Natural Flavors and Colors
- Organic concentrated apple juice (natural color)
- Organic carrot juice (natural color)
- Organic black currant juice (natural color)
Lab results: ProVerde Laboratories
Price: $59 (750mg), i.e., $0.08/mg
Shipping Policy: Free shipping in the US on all orders above $89; standard shipping typically takes 5 – 7 business days.
Return and Refund Policy: A full refund if products are sent back within 30 days of delivery.
Website Experience: Professional layout with complete transparency regarding the research and lab testing.
#2. CBDistillery Gummies
A Colorado-based CBD company, CBDistillery sells gummies that are derived from non-GMO industrial hemp grown with natural farming practices. It is vertically integrated and oversees everything from initial soil testing to packaging and distribution. This company is also one of the first CBD companies to receive a certification from the US Hemp Authority. Each CBDistillery product is tested by an independent third-party lab and they are known in the market for their transparency regarding the quality, purity, and potency of the CBD gummies.
Brand & Product Highlights:
Hemp Source: Colorado, US
Extract Type: Broad-Spectrum CBD Blend
CBD Potency: 30 mg
Container size: 30-count
Flavors: Naturally and fruit-flavored (raspberry, strawberry, raspberry-lemon.)
- CBD Hemp Extracts (aerial parts)
- Tapioca Syrup
- Natural flavors
- Malic Acid
- Sodium Citrate Citric Acid
- Fruit and vegetable juice (for colors)
- Tapioca Starch
Lab Results: ACS Laboratory
Price: $55 (750mg), i.e., $0.07/mg
Shipping Policy: Free shipping on orders over $75
Return & Refund Policies:
- All products carry a 60-day satisfaction guarantee or money back for first-time users
- Applicable only on purchases made from their online website and not from their retail stores
- The company issues a money bank guarantee form is a customer is not satisfied with their product after continual use for 2 weeks
Website Experience: User-friendly website with easily distinguishable categories, plenty of information regarding the products and the company in general
#3. Hemp Bombs CBD Gummies
Based in Tampa, Fl., Hemp Bombs is well-known for its widest range of high-quality premium CBD products, including its gummies. If you are new to CBD, you must try out Hemp Bombs’ gummies. Their flavors, potencies range, and effectiveness will help you make CBD a part of your daily routine. Hemp Bomb’s gummies are natural, third-party lab- tested, and effective. They are made from high-grade hemp strains that make their gummies among the most potent in the market. The company runs a transparent business and ensures an equally effective customer service.
Brand & Product Highlights:
Hemp Source: US (exact location unknown)
Extract Type: Broad-spectrum
- Original: 1500mg, 750mg, 300mg, 120mg (15mg/gummy)
- High-Potency: 3000mg, 1500mg, 600mg, 240mg (30mg/gummy)
- Sleep: 1500mg, 750mg, 300mg, 120mg (15mg + 5mg melatonin/gummy)
Container size: 100-count, 50-count, 20-count, 8-count
Flavors: Multiple flavors, i.e., Strawberry, Green Apple, Berry, Lime, and Blue Raspberry.
- Pure CBD extract
- Corn Syrup
- Natural and Artificial Flavors
- Sodium Citrate
- Citric Acid
- Malic Acid
- Lactic Acid
- FD&C Red No. 3
- FD&C Blue No.1
- FD&C Yellow No. 5
- Passiflora & Melatonin (for sleep gummies)
Lab Results: Green™ Scientific Labs
Original & Sleep Gummies (15mg/gummy):
- 1500mg: $119.99, i.e., $0.08/mg
- 750mg: $69.99, i.e., $0.09/mg
- 300mg: $29.99, i.e., $0.10/mg
- 120mg: $14.99, i.e., $0.12/mg
High-Potency Gummies (30mg/gummy):
- 3000mg: $169.99, i.e., $0.06/mg
- 1500mg: $89.99, i.e., $0.06/mg
- 600mg: $39.99, i.e., $0.07/mg
- 240mg: $19.99, i.e., $0.08/mg
Shipping Policy: Ships to all 50 US states, including the district of Columbia and military addresses, as well as Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands; domestic packages take 5 to 10 business days.
Return & Refund Policies: A full refund available within 30 days of purchase from the company’s official website.
Website Experience: Full transparency regarding lab results, impressive layout, and an excellent product category selection.
#4. CBDFx Gummies
CBDFx has built a solid reputation by selling organic CBD products. They source their hemp from licensed organic farms in the US. All their edible products are sourced from non-GMO hemp plants. Their gummies are simple, vegan, tasty, and third-party lab-tested. The brand provides a wide range of flavors and potencies, besides offering a variety of gummies for special needs.
Product and Brand Highlights
Hemp source: Southern California, Kentucky, and European farms
Extract types: Broad-spectrum CBD blend
CBD Gummies with Biotin for Hair & Nails: 300mg, i.e., 5mg/gummy
All other variants: 1500mg, i.e., 25mg/gummy
Container Sizes: 60-count
Flavors: Mixed berry flavors among other fruity and herbal flavors
- Hemp extracts (aerial parts)
- Purified water
- Organic tapioca syrup
- Organic cane sugar
- Citric acid
- Trisodium citrate
- Natural flavors
- Tomato lycopene (used for color)
- Vitamins B5, B6, B8 (Biotin), B9, B12, C, C, and E (in the Hair & Nails variant)
- Turmeric and Spirulina (antioxidant and anti-inflammatory; in the turmeric & spirulina variant)
- Melatonin, chamomile extract, passionflower extract, lemon balm extract, magnesium, and a proprietary terpene blend (in the sleep variant)
- Organic apple cider vinegar, Vitamin B12, and Organic Pomegranate (in Apple Cider Vinegar variant)
- Vitamins A, C, D3, E, B6, B9 (folic acid), B12, B7 (inositol), B8 (biotin), minerals (selenium, zinc, iodine), choline, and pantothenic acid (Multivitamin For Men)
- Minerals (calcium phosphorus, iodine, zinc), and vitamins (A, B6, B9, B12, B8 (Biotin), C, D3, & E) (Multivitamins for Women)
Lab Results: BioCann Laboratories and CC Testing Labs
Biotin Gummies (300mg): $29.99, i.e., $0.10/mg
All other gummies (1500mg): $49.99, i.e., $0.03/mg
Shipping Policy: Free shipping; standard 5-10 business days for delivery.
Return & Refund Policies: Refunds available only if the product(s) is/are returned in its original packing in a sealed condition within 30 days of purchase.
Website Experience: An attractive website with informative content, easy-to-navigate format, with a professional look.
#5. PlusCBD Oil Gummies
PlusCBD’s vegan gummies are famous for their highly potent gold formula extract. This company takes pride in its CBD products that are created from the highest quality ingredients and driven by the best technology available. Its hemp nutrients are obtained with the help of the CO2 extraction method. PlusCBD Oil’s gummies are prepared with organic ingredients, without any artificial sweeteners or gluten being present. Its gummies are sourced from organically produced ingredients, are third-party lab tested, and are soy-free and allergen-free.
Brand & Product Highlights:
Hemp source: Kentucky (as well as on EU-certified hemp farms in the Netherlands)
Extract type: Full-spectrum hemp extract
Potencies, Sizes & Flavors:
- Regular Gummies: 5mg/gummy; 30-ct; Cherry Mango
- Extra Strength Gummies: 10mg/gummy; 30-ct & 60-ct; Cherry Mango & Citrus Punch
- Full-spectrum blend of hemp extracts (aerial parts)
- Organic turbinado sugar
- Purified water
- Citrus pectin
- Citric acid
- Malic acid
- Organic tapioca syrup
- Natural flavoring
- Beetroot juice (for color)
Lab results: DB Labs
- Regular gummies (150 mg; 5mg/gummy): $27.99, i.e., $0.19/mg
- Extra-Strength gummies (300mg; 10mg/gummy): $27.99, i.e., $0.09/mg
- Extra-Strength gummies (600mg; 10mg/gummy): $44.99, i.e., $0.07/mg
Shipping Policy: Free shipping option available on orders over $45; depends on the shipping method.
Return & Refund Policies: Full refund within 30 days of delivery, excluding any shipping charges.
Website Experience: Self-guiding website, informative, with a simple layout and clear-cut details and descriptions.
The Deciding Factors
Keeping people’s health and welfare in mind, we have created this guide and “Best of” list based on real facts, backed by diligent research, both scientific and otherwise.
We do not promote or intent to highlight any specific company or brand in a brighter light than the rest. Our analysis and description are based on real facts and experiences, besides other user reviews.
Some of the basic parameters of CBD products that helped us decide are as follows:
Hemp Source: The overall quality of a CBD product depends mainly on the quality of the hemp extract. That is why one must find out a brand’s hemp source and understand whether that is good for them or not. Brands that source their hemp from licensed farmlands in the United States (or parts of the EU) are safer, purer, potent, and contain low THC levels (0.3%).
Lab Results: Since the demand for CBD gummies is growing by the day, many companies try to dupe their customers by making several false claims. Besides, there is also a higher number of fake brands and unauthentic products in the market that you must be wary of. That is why we only choose brands that subject their products to third-party lab testing. This ensures that the products are free of any contaminants, including heavy metals, mold, or other unwanted harmful substances, are potent and effective, and contain only very low levels of THC, if any. We go through the brands’ Certificates of Analysis conducted by labs certified by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). These lab reports are a testament of the products’ quality, the brand’s integrity, and the authenticity of both.
Ingredients: Some CBD products contain ingredients that may harm the body. Other products may contain allergens. We checked the ingredients to make sure that all these gummies contain only the best quality ingredients, that are organic, or at least natural, and beneficial for the health.
Extract Types: Depending on their chemical composition, hemp extracts are mainly of three types, i.e., CBD isolates, full-spectrum hemp extracts, and broad-spectrum cannabinoid blend.
- CBD isolates are 99% pure CBD extracts that don’t contain any other phytonutrient or plant materials.
- Full-spectrum extracts contain all the natural components of hemp, including cannabinoids (including traces of THC), fatty acids, terpenoids, flavonoids, vitamins, minerals, and proteins.
- Broad-spectrum blends contain the components as full-spectrum extracts, except THC, which is the main psychotropic component of hemp/marijuana plants.
Potency: All reputed CBD brand make sure to mention the potency/CBD concentration of their products (in mg) on their label. This allows users to adjust the dosage according to their requirements. New users may want to start with low CBD concentrations.
Sizes and Taste: These are two other important defining factors of brands. While variety in sizes provides dosing flexibility, flavors provide variety for users who are looking to avoid the hempy flavor. A plus with flavors is the experience aspect. A fruity flavor we associate with gummy bears gives us a fun and relaxing feel – something that enhances the effects of CBD.
Brand Transparency: It is an important aspect to consider while choosing CBD brands. Not only does it help invoke a sense of trust among the customers regarding a company’s practices but it also helps us gauge its reputation and product quality. Companies that are open and forthcoming about their farming, extraction, and manufacturing practices and who welcome feedback from their customers are naturally more reliable.
Brand Reputation: Not all companies create their CBD ethically. Some shady companies make and sell their CBD products without any concern about customers’ safety. Such companies don’t have a great brand value or reputation. Customers who have been duped are never silent. They voice their resentment online and everywhere they can. So, we went over volumes of customer reviews from various sources. Satisfied customers can vouch for the performance and authenticity of CBD products. This automatically instills a sense of reliability.
Customer Service: Guiding customers through the shopping experience to conveniently purchasing their preferred products may seem to be everything that the customer support team does. But that is not true. Their work does not end there. Ensuring the customers are happy while they are using the products and thereafter are also essential in keeping customers loyal. Just as the products have to be great, so does the customer service. We checked this out to ensure our readers don’t face any problems while shopping for CBD gummies online (which is where most reputed CBD brands sell their products directly).
Shipping, Refund, and Return Policies: We also took into account the company’s shipping and return policies. Only those companies that have the most flexible shipping options and the best customer-friendly return policies have been included in this list.
Website Experience: A company’s website must be easy to navigate, should provide simple and convenient shopping and checkout experience, and should contain abundant information regarding their products, their ingredients, and lab reports. Besides, the products must be displayed in proper categories, making it easy for site visitors to select items. The brand should also contain ample information regarding its policies and practices.
Can CBD Gummies Help Combat Pain?
With over 100 million Americans living with chronic pain each year, it is natural that this would be a major health issue among most people in the country. Chronic pain not only has a negative impact while it happens, but it also diminishes the person’s quality of life and destroys his/her normal thought process.
Pain is normally associated with several medical conditions, including arthritic, migraines, neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis, osteoarthritis, cancer pain, and even cancer treatment pain.
Although there are quite a few over-the-counter pain medications and prescription painkillers worth trying, they usually always come with some severe side effects, besides leading to the body developing a dependency, addiction, and withdrawals as soon as they are stopped. Patients encountering such problems often seek out herbal alternatives. One such successful alternative is Cannabidiol (CBD).
The use and production of CBD, a cannabis-based chemical compound, were legalized in 2014. With that came a potential deluge of CBD products and brands that stormed the market with different kinds of CBD products, each with its unique formulation and delivery method. Although some people may still be skeptical about its benefits, most reputed brands and companies make sure to keep their farming, extraction, and manufacturing processes transparent and environment-friendly.
CBD products have proven to be safer and more effective options than prescription drugs and OTC medicines when it comes to combating pain issues. Additionally, CBD isn’t addictive or cause the human body to develop tolerance or dependence.
CBD doesn’t interact directly with the human body; it binds directly or indirectly with a set of cannabinoid and non-cannabinoid receptors to interact with the body’s endocannabinoid system – a cell-signaling network of neurotransmitters, receptors, and enzymes that is found in all vertebrate animals.
Among others, the endocannabinoid system (ECS) is responsible for regulating pain sensations and the body’s capacity to manage them. Like endocannabinoids produced by our body that directly controls these internal chemical and physiological processes, which include inflammation, moods, sleep, appetite, seizures, and metabolism, CBD acts as an exogenous cannabinoid that interacts similarly with the body to normalize these processes by alleviating problems and balancing out any abnormalities that may exist within the body’s chemical and physiological structure.
Unlike THC, another compound found in all cannabis plants, CBD doesn’t produce any psychotropic or hallucinatory effects. Although THC too has a few health benefits, usually its side effects trump its benefits. That is why CBD is a much safer option in treating pain issues.
Since most reputed CBD brands draw the cannabinoids from hemp (and not marijuana, which is illegal), their products don’t contain high levels of THC. In fact, industrial/agricultural hemp contains below 0.3% THC by dry weight, making it both safe and effective for relieving different kinds of health issues.
Some CBD advocates and experts suggest that CBD could be a better alternative to opioids, as the dependence on the latter escalates in America. There is also ample scientific evidence to prove that cannabidiol does influence the cell-to-cell signals in the body (through the ECS system) that control pain sensations. There is also proof of its safety and efficacy – both scientific and anecdotal.
While there are many ways of consuming CBD (and hence different types of products), one of the most hassle-free and enjoyable methods of consuming CBD is through CBD gummies.
CBD gummies, like regular gummy bears, provide an exciting yet calming effect. The act of chewing at something fruity and delicious calms the nerves too. Besides, most reputable brands use natural and even organic flavorings to improve the experience and benefit health.
That is why you will notice that all products mentioned in our list are made from natural ingredients (including the hemp extract), most of which are organically grown in the US.
Although consuming CBD via the digestive system has its downsides (it undergoes the first-pass effect in which CBD’s potency and bioavailability decreases), oral consumption has a few benefits. They are convenient to consume, can be taken in smaller doses, and provide an enjoyable experience without the earthy tones of hemp.
How Does CBD Interact With The Human Body?
Like all vertebrates, the human body has an Endocannabinoid System (ECS). It comprises endocannabinoids (also known as neurotransmitters), cannabinoid receptors, and certain enzymes (that break down endocannabinoids).
This biological system has two primary receptors (also known as cannabinoid receptors) – CB1 and CB2. While CB1 is primarily found in the brain and the central nervous system, CB2 is mainly found in the peripheral nervous system and different organs of the body (including the skin, joints, and muscles).
All these receptors, along with the endocannabinoids, are responsible for maintaining homeostasis in the body.
Just like endocannabinoids interact with these receptors, so does CBD, THC, and other cannabinoids. The only difference is that the plant cannabinoids also interact with a range of non-cannabinoid and atypical cannabinoid receptors.
For instance, CBD interacts indirectly with CB1 and CB2 receptors, and directly with the vanilloid TRPV1 receptors. This helps lower pain sensations and increases the body’s ability to manage and endure pain. These processes help the ECS regulate and normalize the body’s functionality.
Scientific Analysis of CBD’s Efficacy In Fighting Pain
Numerous studies have proven, or at least indicated, CBD’s efficacy in providing relief from pain, associated with different medical conditions. Some such studies, reviews, and trials are mentioned here.
- A 2018 study, published in the journal Molecules, indicated that CBD can become an active part of pain-relieving treatments.
- A 2016 study, published in the European Journal of Pain, discovered that CBD reduces joint inflammation and protects the nerves, thus aiding in reducing arthritic pain. However, this particular study was based on transdermal use of CBD and not gummies.
- Another clinical trial of 2018, published in the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology, revealed that CBD is a great inhibitor of neuropathic and cancer pain. This trial was conducted on mice and pain was artificially induced to simulate the necessary conditions.
- A 2012 study, published in the Journal of Experimental Medicine, also supported the belief that CBD can offer alternative ways to treat chronic neuropathic and inflammatory pain by interacting with α3 glycine receptors. apart from its efficacy, the study also came to the conclusion that patients aren’t likely to build a tolerance to CBD’s effects, i.e. you won’t become immune to its effects over a period of time.
- A 2008 review, published in the Therapeutics and Clinical Risk Management, analyzed studies from some previous years to derive at CBD’s overall positive role in pain management without posing any adverse effects. It was also found CBD’s role in promoting better sleep among patients suffering from chronic pain.
- According to a 2020 study, published in the Neuropsychopharmacology journal, oral consumption of CBD also has its benefits. In this study, it was found that cannabinoids, when consumed orally, can provide prolonged relief from allodynia in mice with chronic neuropathic pain – an indication that it could be equally effective on humans too.
CBD Gummies Dosage for Pain
CBD gummies come in a variety of CBD strengths. Although it’s virtually impossible to overdose on CBD, you don’t want to experience any unnecessary adversities.
That is why you need to calculate the dosage properly.
When it comes to dosing CBD gummies, you need to calculate the number of gummies according to their total CBD strength they provide. To start with, however, it is best to consume a low potency variant, such as those containing 5 – 10 mg CBD per gummy, and consume only one gummy per dose.
If you experience positive results, you can stick to this and repeat as and when needed. Alternatively, you can increase the number of gummies or frequency of intake. You may even switch to higher potency gummies for better results.
Unlike mental issues like anxiety and depression, pain and inflammation require higher doses of CBD. However, you must understand that everyone reacts differently to CBD. No two persons with pain issues will experience the same effects or would need the same number of gummies, containing equal amounts of CBD concentrates to have the same impact.
When it comes to CBD’s effects on the human body, quite a few variables come into play. They include:
- Type of pain issue and its severity
- Individual’s metabolism
- Individual’s endocannabinoid system and its ability to interact with exogenous cannabinoids
- Specific formulation of gummies
- Specific strain of hemp
With CBD gummies, one may get carried away and end up consuming more CBD than needed. The fruity and sugary flavors, combined with the CBD, not only makes you feel relaxed and more focused but may also get you hooked to it as regular candies do. While it is not recommended to eat more than your optimal dosage, it does not usually have any adverse effects.
In some rare cases, you may experience dryness of the mouth or mild nausea. Besides, excessive CBD use is a waste, as it does not give you any additional or quicker relief than your optimal dosage. CBD is expensive. So, there is no point in wasting it.
Parting Thoughts: Using CBD Gummies For Pain
CBD gummies are a wonderful way of adding cannabidiol to your daily wellness regimen.
Even though it takes a little while longer than vape juices and tinctures, its effects are long-lasting. Moreover, unlike the other options, it is easier to carry gummies in your purse or pocket, and pop them whenever you need pain relief.
Currently, CBD is one of the best alternatives to opioids and other pain medications. And CBD gummies are certainly one of the best and most convenient options. While there are quite a few options in the CBD gummy market, our list of CBD gummies will give you better health, improved pain management system, and heightened mobility compared to most others. the best part is that they are naturally sourced, with ingredients that are all homegrown on licensed organic farms.