Benefits of Hemp Fiber
Why use hemp clothing over cotton?
Why Cotton is Bad
Here are some shocking facts about cotton:
- Cotton is grown on 3% of the earth’s best arable land. Yet, it uses a whopping 26% of the world’s pesticides
- In the US, about half the pesticides used today are sprayed on cotton plants
- Consumes more than 7% of the fertilizer used annually
- Uses 50% more water than hemp to be turned into fabric
- Exhausts the soil, but is widely grown by developing countries desperate for a cash crop to repay international debts
- WSJ has reported that many Asian cotton farmers use up to 7X the directed amount of pesticides in their crops
- In California alone some 6000 tons of pesticides and defoliants are used on cotton in a single year
- These earth damaging practices lead to accelerated climate change and species extinction
Learn more about the damages caused by cotton at our blog: How Cotton is Killing the Earth
What can you make with hemp fiber?
There’s too many applications of hemp fiber to count. Here’s just a few:
- Fightwear (Combat Gi)
Luggage & Bags
Why You Should Wear Hemp
Learn how wearing hemp can help our environment and our agricultural economy
Top Recommended US Hemp Apparel Brands
Check out our full review of all hemp apparel brands
We’ve reviewed over 10 brands by analyzing the quality of their hemp fabric, design options, price, and online customer reviews.
(Visited 18,350 times, 4,737 visits today)