Hemp protein is the product of powdering the nutritious hemp seeds. The seeds are considered a superfood as they contain a good balance of essential fatty acids, amino acids, protein and fiber. Grinding the seed, you get a high-fiber protein supplement that promises an average of 15 grams of protein per serving – that is the highest vegan source of simple protein available! Hemp is a great alternative for vegans and non-vegans alike. It’s a great way to increase your daily protein intake, especially for those who are lactose intolerant or have difficulty digesting whey protein. A serving of hemp protein is guaranteed to help your muscles recover for your next workout!
Benefits of Hemp Protein
Hemp has several benefits that make it a superior source of protein
- Great source of vegan protein.
- High rate of digestibility – allows the body to use the protein more efficiently.
- Rich in fiber – helps to lower risk of heart disease, type-2 diabetes, and constipation.
- One serving of hemp protein powder can satisfy 50% of your daily recommended fiber serving.
- Aids in anti-fatigue
- Enhances your immune systems
Things to consider when buying hemp protein
It can be confusing on what protein to buy just by browsing online. Here are the general guidelines to consider when making your purchase.
- Protein Amount? – The protein amount offered per serving is different per product. The protein amount can vary from 11g to 20g per serving. There seems to be two trends. If it is a Protein + Fiber product, the portion of protein is less as portion of fiber increases. We’ve also found that flavored protein powders, such as chocolate, offer noticeably less protein per serving
- Flavor? – In the current marketplace, there are not many brands that offer flavored options. Only Nutiva and Manitoba Harvest offer Chocolate and Vanilla flavors. All other brands offer the Original flavor, which essentially means there’s no flavor added mixed in. These original hemp protein powders have a bit of a nutty taste.
- Organic? – Most hemp brands advertise on their packaging or nutrition label if they offer Organic hemp. About half of hemp products on the market are organic options. Even without being organic, most hemp that are from Canada are non-GMO, non-irradiated, and chemical free. Most brands also do not add or mix any artificial ingredients in their protein*. (*Always check the nutrition label to make sure)
- Reviews – Even the hemp protein market is getting flooded with various brands claiming they offer the best quality or value. It’s quite difficult for a customer to compare the different products to see which one offers the highest amount of protein or the lowest price. To help with your purchase, we developed an unbiased hemp protein review that analyzes the quality, price, flavor, and overall value of hemp protein powders.
How to Make Delicious Hemp Protein Shakes
Hemp protein powder is known to be a bit harder to drink by just mixing with water as it is a bit chunkier and can taste a bit grainy. Here are some common ingredients you could mix with:
- Almond milk
- Frozen berries
- Peanut butter
- Fruit juice
Easy & Delicious Hemp Protein Shake Recipes