Top 6 Things To Consider When Buying Hemp Protein
Among the many variants of protein powders, hemp protein is gaining popularity as a superior source of vegan protein. Compared to its vegan competitors, hemp offers a higher concentration of protein as well as a strong combination of other nutritional content.
So when you come around and decide to try out hemp protein, what are some things to consider? Here are the top 6 things you should keep in mind:
1. Protein Amount?
The protein amount offered per serving is different by brand and product. It can vary from 11g to 20g per serving. There seems to be two trends.
- Hemp protein products that also emphasize fiber typically offers less protein per serving, while the portion of fiber increases
- Flavored hemp proteins, such as chocolate, offer noticeably less protein per serving
Hemp protein, unlike whey, typically does not come in variety of flavors. It’s original flavor essentially has no additive mixed in. These powders have a bit of a nutty taste that you might have to get used to.
There are a couple brands on the market who do offer flavored options. Nutiva and Manitoba Harvest offer Chocolate and Vanilla flavors.
Most hemp protein brands advertise on their packaging or nutrition label if they offer Organic hemp. About half of hemp products on the market are organic options. Even without being organic, most hemp protein that are from Canada are non-GMO, non-irradiated, and chemical free. Most brands also do not add or mix any artificial ingredients in their protein.
Price for hemp protein can range from $9 per lb to $23 per lb. These prices are dependent on the brand, the amount of protein per serving, and the packaging size. A 5 lb bag will be much cheaper per lb than a 1 lb bag. Here’s the best value hemp products you’ll find on the market, calculated by the price per lb:
- Manitoba HempPro Fibre $9-$14 per lb (11g of protein per serving)
- Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder $9.49 per lb (14g of protein per serving)
- Manitoba HempPro 50 $9-$12 per lb (15g of protein per serving)
- Nature’s Way Hemp Protein and Fiber Powder $12.39 (11g of protein per serving)
- Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein High Fiber $12.67 per lb (11g of protein per serving)
- Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein $13.16 per lb (15g of protein per serving)
- Manitoba HempPro 70 $15 per lb (20g of protein per serving)
- Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Hemp Protein $15.57 (12 g of protein per serving)
The quality of hemp protein products are backed by their amazing online reviews. On average, hemp protein brands have Amazon reviews higher than 4 stars, with most of them having over 100 reviewers. Below are the average ratings of the highest rated protein products on Amazon:
- Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein – 4.1/5.0 (3000+ reviews)
- Manitoba HempPro – 4.1/5.0 (1100+ reviews)
- Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Hemp Protein – 4.4/5.0 (200+ reviews)
- Bob’s Red Mill Hemp Protein Powder 4.2/5.0 (50+ reviews)
- Nature’s Way Hemp Protein and Fiber Powder – 3.9/5.0 (100+ reviews)
6. How to make a great hemp protein shake?
Hemp protein is known to be a bit harder to drink by just mixing with water as it is a bit chunkier and can taste a bit grainy. Here are some simple ingredients you can add to your shake to improve the taste:
- Frozen berries
- Peanut butter
- Fruit juice
For a full review of hemp protein products, visit our Hemp Protein Product Reviews page.