How do you know which brand to choose for hemp seeds?
Hemp seeds are exploding as a favorite pick for healthy, organic foodies to add to their daily diet. With an amazing balance of protein, fiber, essential fatty acids, and variety of minerals, hemp could be the supplement that you’ve been looking for.
If you’re curious to learn about the full set of benefits, check out our infographic on “Top 7 Benefits of Hemp Seeds”
To make things easier for you, we’ve tried and tested all the hemp seed brands available on Amazon to help you get the best value in your next hemp seed purchase. First, we’ll go ahead and tell you what our top recommendations are, and then break it down to show you how we came to our conclusion. Hope you’ll find this resource useful as you shop for your next superfood.
Best Quality – Manitoba Harvest
All the brands that we tried were high quality, but Manitoba Harvest was clearly our favorite. This is clearly shown in their customer reviews as well, with an average of 4.7 stars on Amazon.
Their superior quality makes sense considering how they make their hemp seeds. Manitoba Harvest is the only hemp consumer brand that grows, makes and sells its own line of hemp foods. This gives them a distinct advantage over their competitors. Through vertical integration, they are able to tightly control their quality during the planting, cultivation, and packaging stages.
Best Price – Just Hemp Foods
From our review, we found that Just Hemp Foods offers the best value for cost conscious customers who use hemp seeds on a regular basis.
These are the price per pound for each brand:
- Just Hemp Foods – $8.99 per lb
- Healthworks – $9.99 per lb
- Manitoba Harvest – $11.04 per lb
- The Raw Food World – $12.95 per lb
- Nutiva – $13.38 per lb
- Terrasoul – $15.32 per lb
- Navitas – $13.93 per lb
- Sun Pyramid – $22.02 per lb
Best Online Reviews – Nutiva
- Nutiva – 4.8 stars (1,267 reviews)
- Manitoba Harvest – 4.7 (1930 reviews)
- Just Hemp Foods – 4.8 stars (473 reviews)
- Healthworks – 4.8 stars (330 reviews)
- The Raw Food World – 4.8 stars (172 reviews)
- Sun Pyramid – 4.8 stars (30 reviews)
- Terrasoul – 4.7 stars (94 reviews)
- Navitas – 4.5 stars (124 reviews)
How To Tell The Good From The Bad
With our guide and by checking out more online reviews, you can feel pretty safe with whatever decision you make. Yet, if you still want to check whether the seeds you received are good quality, here’s a good rule of thumb:
- Mostly white nut – less than 50% green on the nut
- Low number of off colour (yellow) seed
- Fresh, nutty aroma
- Flavor ranges from slight fresh, herbal, grassy to nutty
- More yellow colour seeds than white
- Dry feeling in the mouth
- Bitter or chalky aftertaste
The following guidelines were provided by Hemp Oil Canada, one of the leading producers of hemp seeds in Canada.
To help you see the full comparison among the top 5 brands, please reference the table below:
|Just Hemp Foods||Canada||No||$8.99 per lb||4.8/5.0 (450+ reviews)|
|Manitoba Harvest||Canada||Offers Both Options||$11.04 per lb||4.7/5.0 (1900+ reviews)|
|Nutiva||Canada||Yes||$13.38 per lb||4.7/5.0 (1200+ reviews)|
|Terrasoul||Canada||Yes||$15.32 per lb||4.7/5.0 (94 reviews)|
|Navitas||Canada||Yes||$13.93 per lb||4.5/5.0 (124 reviews)|
We hope this guide helps you in your next purchase of hemp seeds! If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to us at [email protected].